Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Time to EAT...a "HOW TO" with Northern Pike

 


Northern pike are very prolific in many rivers here in Iowa.  They grow quite rapidly and make for a great fight while out fishing.  Pike can grow up to 24-inches in their third year of life, which is also the year that they start spawning.  Not only are pike fast growers and a great fight, they are fantastic on the table as well.  Pike will hit a variety of lures.  They are ferocious eaters and will chase crankbaits, soft plastics, topwater baits, and bladed jigs, however I believe their favorite is a spinnerbait.  They are a fun fish, and the patterns on their skin can be quite remarkable...like the one pictured!  

A lot of people catch pike but rarely keep them.  You do need a large livewell to keep them alive or a large cooler to keep the meat fresh during the day.  It is well worth it though, the meat is really one of my favorites... they make great sandwiches!  Pike have a bad rap because they are hard to clean.  I was fortunate enough to learn from my grandparents an easy way to clean pike when I was in my teens.  With a limit of three northern pike a day on interior rivers and a limit of five on the Mississippi River, you have a lot of opportunities to catch and clean these great tasting fish.  The 5-piece method is the one I have used for decades, it is a great way to clean them and avoid those pesky "Y-bones".  Here is a video of the same method that I use to clean northern pike: (I fillet the whole piece off at the tail on each side)




He uses an electric knife, I prefer to use a regular fillet knife, but to each their own.  I feel that when I use a regular knife, I can "feel" the bones better.  If you are new to cleaning Pike, I would start with a knife.  Skinning them with an electric knife does save some time.  This is called the 5-Piece method for Northern Pike, but you do come away with 6 pieces that are boneless, due to splitting the top small section in half.  I have named the pieces just to help me keep track of things while cleaning the fish.  I took some pics the last time I cleaned some pike, hoping that they help you to enjoy this great tasting fish. 

This is what you should have when getting the meat away from the carcass.

I always cut them into smaller pieces so they are ready to cook.
I would cut the "Loins" in two smaller pieces too before cooking or freezing for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment