Tuesday, April 5, 2016

New Recipe: Bluegill Cakes


While reading the March edition of "The Iowa Sportsman" magazine I came across a recipe I have never seen or heard about (pg. 74).  Bluegill Cakes was the title of the recipe and it grabbed my attention right away.  I still remember and tell people about the time I traveled to Pennsylvania to visit my sister and her family.  Her husband took me out during this time for some "hand-made" crab cakes down at one of his favorite pubs.  WOW, fresh, hand made made crab cakes, I won't soon forget how those tasted.  To sum it up, fantastic!
I have always remembered those cakes and have tried several crab cakes here in Iowa, none are close to comparing.  This was one reason why this recipe probably grabbed my attention.  First, bluegills, which I love in a variety of ways and the word "cakes".

The Iowa Sportsman Magazine, March 2016

Here it is if you are looking for a different way to prepare your catch:

INGREDIENTS:
12 Bluegills, filleted out
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 Egg- separate yolk from white
2/3 cup Milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
Lemon or Tarter Sauce to flavor

A few notes about the process; I just placed the 24 fillets in a casserole dish after spraying with PAM and baked for about 25 minutes.  Flaking them is as simple as taking a fork and stirring the baked fillets into small pieces.  Try to drain or soak up unnecessary water from the fillets before you put them into the ingredient mixture.  Having the burner set a little above "medium" seemed to fry them the best.  Not much oil is need in the fry pan.  This made 7 cakes like you see in the picture, large enough for a couple really hungry people or 3 if there are other items to eat.
I hope you enjoy the recipe from "The Iowa Sportsman" magazine, each month they offer up wild game recipes, I've tried others and they have been good too, however this one is as close to Philadelphia Crab Cakes that I have ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment