Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bruhsy Creek flop

The Tri-County Bass club held its 8th annual 4-man Bass Tournament this past Saturday.  I have been a member of this bass club since 1999 while living in Marshalltown.  It is a great bass club with a great group of guys. 

A few years ago, 2005 to be exact I came up with an idea to have a 4 person bass tournament.  Those of you that have heard of bass tournaments know that this is unusual, and I believe it was the first ever in the state of Iowa.  My friends and family have always said I have had some goofy ideas, and this was one of them I had back in 2005.  The tournament is just like any other bass tournament, except instead of having just one partner, you have your partner in your boat, PLUS two other people on your team in another boat.  Ideally you work together, call/text each other the "hot spots", or the "hot bait" of the day to compete against all the other teams.  It has been a fun tournament to compete in. 


A nice keeper I caught during a practice session prior to the
tournament using a Vexilar flasher and shakey head worm.
I have always teamed up with other club members, and also coordinate the event each year.  Last year, our team did our best ever, we placed 4th with 33.60# for 10 bass, and I also caught the big bass for the event at 5.20 pounds.  We got the big bass award ($500) and about $400 for our 4th place finish.  This year our team had high hopes as we fished the lake prior to the event, but had little success.


This year, as the title states was a flop.  None of our team members could really find those bass creatures on the day.  All four of us fished hard, and caught numerous bass throughout the day, but as a team we only weighed in 4 bass, out of 10 possible.  We just couldn't seem to find the keeper bass that day...a FLOP as I call it.  A flop it may be, but I am a better angler because of it, and I will get back out there soon...you can't let one bad event get you down for too long.

To close, I may sound like a Cubs fan for a few seconds, but "I guess there is always next year". 

No comments:

Post a Comment