Monday, February 17, 2014

Rock Creek Anticipation

The Team Extreme Ice Fishing tournament circuit is coming to Rock Creek Lake next weekend.  My usual ice fishing partner and I will be signed up to fish.  I used Saturday as a day of preparation for the event, as other trips this winter too.  The more I fish this lake, the more I wonder about the size of the gills and crappies.  This tournament should be a great report card for this lake, as some of the best anglers in the state will be on the ice to test their skills.  There are plenty of crappies and bluegills to go around in the lake, finding and then catching the nicer ones are always the key to tournament success.

Without trying to spoil too many places at Rock Creek I went on two adventures Sunday.  I went to two lakes that I have never ice fished before.  A friend lured me Red Rock where the crappie bite has been awesome.  I couldn't turn it down.  Caught a few there, but packed up early as the bite was almost non-existent.  It did turn on later that afternoon...bad luck on my part I guess.  That decision to leave and try another lake proved to be a good one though.  I headed to Otter Creek Lake.  A big thanks to Nick LaVelle for pointing me in the right direction, as I found a few fish, largemouth bass, gills, crappies, and yellow bass.  
You never know what will happen when you go to a different lake, but yesterday was a great time, and I have a feeling I will be going to these more often when the water freezes.

No comments:

Post a Comment