Monday, March 19, 2012

Boat on the WaTeR!

Today marked the first time for the boat to get wet this year.  The last time it was on the water was November 13th.  It had about a 4 month break, and it was time for the Ranger to get back on the water.  Dave Jordan, who seems to always be my guinea pig when taking my boat out for the first time graciously joined me again this year.  No matter how well you take care of your equipment, or how new it is, you just never know what that first time on the water will bring. 
We were in for a surprise today...the beginning of 2012 couldn't have started much BETTER!  The boat, motors, rods/reels all worked flawlessly for us yesterday.  As stated earlier in my blog, I spend quite a bit of time in the winter cleaning my reels and checking my rods for flaws.  I am glad I do this, because when you are working with a Quantum rod and reel that are tuned in just perfect...it just doesn't get any better than that.

The bass were killing the the Optimum sqimbait on the pause!
Dave and I headed to a private lake, yes I know that is kind of cheating, but it is an awesome place to take friends and family to catch some fish.  Yesterday was no different. 
We found the bass hitting crankbaits, jigs, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, Optimum Baits swimbaits, Hot Rod Baits BIG DADDIES and TUBES.  Color didn't seem to matter much of the afternoon, although size did, for the last half of our 5-hour fishing day the bass definitely wanted a smaller piece of plastic, like a tube bait.  Dave and I caught dozens of bass, and had a blast doing it!

The *new* bait from Hot Rod Baits,
 the Big Daddy got a good workout.
Most of Iowa had optimal conditions on Sunday, warm air much of the week, and a storm front coming in the next day, it doesn't get much better than that for springtime fishing.  One other reason for the bass cooperating so well, we found water temperatures in some shallow areas at 69.3 degrees...we normally see that in May.  Until next time, have fun with what you like to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment